Escape to where 2 World-Heritage wonders meet, the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest. The coastal paradise around Cairns including Port Douglas and Palm Cove to the north is called Tropical North Queensland. Renowned for its relaxed, tropical climate and laid back ambience, here you can pick your adventure whether you want something relaxing or intense.
Stay: In the heart of the action at the QT Port Douglas and relax by the pool or explore the wildlife of the Tropical North. QT Port Douglas offers an exciting new style of accommodation with a tropical feel. Featuring holiday villas and guest rooms which are stylish, relaxing, and self-contained with chic designer touches throughout.
Or enjoy an indulgent beach escape at the Palm Cove Sea Temple Resort & Spa created to provide the utmost privacy and tranquility. This resort is ideal for those who simply want to sit back and soak up the Tropical North Queensland lifestyle, or experience their first class day spa.
- Take it easy and relax in the vibrant resort town of Port Douglas with horseback riding at Wonga beach.
- If you want to ramp your adventure up a notch begin the next morning with an exhilarating bungee jump followed by white-water rafting with Raging Thunder on the Barron River.
- Take one of the many hiking trails to experience the extraordinary diversity of life to be found here or embark on the Kuku Yulangi Dreamtime walk to tap into the indigenous culture of Australia before your adventure on the Great Barrier Reef begins.
- Join on a cruise along the mangrove-lined Daintree River which will reveal crocodiles and turtles in clear, sparkling streams.
- Travel farther north to the remote frontier of Cape Tribulation and connect with the Aboriginal culture. Take in the scenic lookout and rich bird and wildlife on a bushwalk, where the forest plunges literally to the reef.
Great Barrier Reef
- Stretching more than 2,000 kilometers along the Queensland coast explore the rainbow-colored coral, sponges and fish below as you kick through vivid coral canyons and past sea turtles in the Great Barrier Reef.
- Then depart on a Down Under Cruise to snorkel or dive the magnificent Saxon and Hastings Reefs. Enjoy lunch on the boat surrounded by beautiful blue water and stunning marine life.
- Take it up a level and cruise over to a spot where you board your scenic helicopter tour back to the mainland.
Explore more ways to make your trip to Australia spectacular on Australia.com.