Where to Find It:
Aguila Sandwich Shop
3200 W Hillsborough Ave
Tampa, FL 33614
Aguila's Sandwich Shop has been open for business for 7 years, but it actually started 25 years ago. The Aguila family opened a restaurant called La Ideal that had a similar menu to what Aguila's serves today. It was so successful that they opened 2 additional locations in Tampa, each run by a different family member. Slowly they sold the restaurants (along with the name) as the family thought about retiring from the business. After 6 months of retirement they decided they wanted back in the business and opened a new restaurant using the family name.
BITE Score Rating:
B (Bread) - The egg bread is sensational. It stays crispy throughout and soft inside.
I (Interior) - I love the pork here. You get one cohesive flavor that has lots of dimensions.
T (Taste) - Incredible taste
E (Experience) - Serves food of the highest order
Result: Defeated by Domilise's Shrimp Po' Boy
* Egg Roll
* Pulled Pork
* Sour Onions
* 4 slices of Boiled Ham
* 2 slices of Serano Ham
* Swiss Cheese
* 3 pieces of Salami (1 slice cut into 3)
* Make MOJO sauce by mixing garlic, citrus, oil, vinegar and sour onions.
* Slice egg roll for the sandwich assembly.
* Add boiled ham, Serano ham, pulled pork, Swiss cheese, salami.
* Spread mayonnaise, mustard and MOJO sauce.
* Add pickles.
* Press sandwich on press at 300 degrees.