Where to Find It:
2138 Michigan Avenue
Detroit, MI 48216
After a career as a fashion model, Phillip Cooley returned home to Michigan and was determined to help revitalize Detroit. Cooley, along with his father Ron and brother Ryan, opened Slow's Bar-BQ in 2005, in Corktown, at the edge of downtown Detroit. The restaurant is located across from the long-abandoned central train station and has become a destination for diners. Originally planned as a fine-dining establishment, Cooley quickly realized that barbecue was the better way to go.
BITE Score Rating:
B- I love the poppyseeds on it and because its lightly buttered, you get that grilled taste without it getting soggy
I- The chicken itself is farm fresh and that slow-low temperature makes it butter-soft and allows that hickory smoke to penetrate it
T- The beautiful smoked and marinated chicken, the cheddar itself and the earthiness of the sautéed mushroom – an incredible taste experience
E- The place is extremely cool, they always have different sauces for you to try
Results: Great Lakes Regional Champion
* Kaiser Roll
* Canola Oil
* 1 oz of White Button Mushrooms
* 6 oz of Pulled Chicken
* 2 oz of Mustard BBQ Sauce
* 2 oz of Mild Cheddar Cheese
* 2 Slices of Crisp Bacon
Directions for Sautéed Mushrooms
* Heat a sauté pan over high heat.
* Add Canola oil to pan.
* Add sliced white button mushrooms to hot pan.
* The mushrooms should almost cover the bottom of the pan in a single layer but not be too crowded.
* Sauté over high heat tossing often.
* Cook until golden brown and season lightly with salt.
Directions for Sandwich Assembly
* Lightly butter both the top and bottom of the Kaiser roll and place on a 350 griddle. Heat until golden brown and warmed through.
* Add pulled chicken, sautéed mushrooms and mustard BBQ sauce.
* Cook on high, stirring frequently.
* Add mild cheddar cheese.
* Remove from heat and let stand for 30 - 45 sec. Stir cheese in to chicken mixture until melted throughout.
* Pile chicken mixture onto griddle-cooked Kaiser roll. Top with crisp bacon.