Sandwich Report Card: Asian Flank Steak
In the South, 3 sandwiches go head-to-head for a chance to be the regional champ. The first of these is the Asian flank steak from Mitchell Delicatessen. Get the facts on this contender and the recipe so you can make it at home.
Asian Flank Steak Sandwich
Where to Find It:
Nashville, TN 37216
Opened in 2008, Mitchell Delicatessen is a full-service deli that uses only the highest quality ingredients from local sources. It was so well received that on the first day open the restaurant ran out of food.
BITE Score Rating:
B - Incredibly fresh, its toasted but I might have wanted a little more crunch on top.
I - Outstanding, you almost never see a chunks of beef this size.
T- All the ingredients are so exceptionally balanced.
E- It’s pretty much perfect
Results: Defeated by the Chicken Conquistador
Flank Steak Marinade
* 2 cups of Soy Sauce
* 1 1/4 cups of Vegetable Oil
* 3/4 Cups of Sesame Oil
* 1/4 Cups of Minced Garlic
* 3/4 cups of Brown Sugar
* 1 Red Onion (Fine Dice)
* 3 Limes (Zest and Juice)
* 3 tablespoons of Red Pepper Flake
* 3 tablespoons of Black Pepper
* Whisk all ingredients together
* Cover flank steak (cooked to preference) for 24 hours.
Ingredients for Giardiniera
* 4 cups of Green Bell Pepper
* 4 cups of Red Bell Pepper
* 8 cups of Celery
* 8 cups of Carrots
* 2 cups of Red Onion
* 2 cups of Yellow Onion
* 6 cups of Green Beans
* 4 cups of Cucumber
* 2 cups of Salt
* Water to cover
* 3 cups of Green Olives
* 3 cups of Banana Pepper
* 4 tablespoons of Minced Garlic
* 4 tablespoons of Dry Garlic
* 2 tablespoons of Black Pepper
* 2 tablespoons of Red Pepper Flake
* 6 cups of Rice Wine Vinegar
* 2 cups of Vegetable Oil
* Julienne green bell pepper, red bell pepper, celery, carrots, red onion, yellow onion, green beans and cucumber
* Add salt and toss.
* Cover with cold water and refrigerate for 24 hours.
* Strain the vegetables and rinse well with cold water.
* Drain and place in large bowl.
* Add remaining ingredients and let it set for 24 hours.
Place flank steak and giardiniera on a ciabatta roll and serve!