Sandwich Report Card: Chicken Club
In the mid-Atlantic, 3 sandwiches go head-to-head for a chance to be the regional champ. The second of these is the chicken club sandwich from the W Hotel. Get the facts on this contender and the recipe so you can make it at home.
Chicken Club Sandwich
Where to Find It:
515 15th Street NW
Built in 1917, this hotel was the closest neighbor to the White House. Everyone from presidents to celebrities to CEOs are known to stay here. This hotel was where Elvis secretly met with President Nixon, the presidents' Thanksgiving turkeys waited before being pardoned, and where The Godfather Part II was shot.
BITE Score Rating:
B- Bread is golden brown; really moist and delicious
I – It’s not just sliced chicken breast; it’s chicken breast that is rich, lush and full of levels of flavor
T- Most club sandwiches don’t have an egg or avocado, so the taste is unique
E – You would never know about this sandwich if you didn’t have a room here. You can have it on your own terms.
Results: Defeated by the CSS Virginia
* 8 oz Chicken Paillard, herb oil marinated and grilled
* 3 slices of Nueski bacon, cooked to crisp
* 4 slices of beefsteak tomato
* 1 large leaf of Bibb or Romaine lettuce
* 1/4 avocado, sliced
* 4 Tbs. mayonnaise
* 1 egg, seasoned with salt and pepper and fried sunny side up
* 3 slices of sourdough bread
* Toast bread. Spread mayo lightly and evenly over all slices of toast, then layer on top chicken, bacon and avocado.
* Top with the second slice of bread, then layer on top lettuce, tomato & egg.
* Top with final piece of bread.
* 2 oz Mesclun salad
* 3 oz French fries
Press sandwich down then put toothpicks in each corner. Trim crusts, then cut on a diagonal twice to create 4 triangles. Place on large round plate with fries. Put salad in small side bowl with a side of house vinaigrette.