Sandwich Report Card: Chicken Conquistador
In the South, 3 sandwiches go head-to-head for a chance to be the regional champ. The last of these is the chicken conquistador from Zunzi's. Get the facts on this contender and the recipe so you can make it at home.
Where to Find It:
108 E York St
Savannah, GA 31401
Johnny and Gabby DeBeer opened the restaurant in 2005 and it quickly became a favorite of students. The menu reflects both owners' childhood experiences. The name comes from the island in Africa (Johnny is from South Africa) called Zanzibar.
BITE Score Rating:
B- Outstanding bread, it does everything a baguette should do.
I- The chicken itself is extraordinary.
T- The even distribution of sauces, flavors, veggies and the amazing bread makes it extraordinary.
E- You are in one of the best cities in the south.
Results: Regional Champ of the South
* Loaf of Bread – Baguette Style
* Chicken Breast
* Creamy Italian Dressing
* Zunzi’s “Special Sauce” – can be replaced with Thousand Island Dressing
* Cut open the loaf of bread.
* Lay down lettuce and tomatoes.
* Bake chicken breast, cut into smaller pieces and place over bead of lettuce and tomatoes.
* Add Creamy Italian Dressing and Zunzi’s special sauce.