Sandwich Report Card: El Toro
On the West Coast, 3 sandwiches go head-to-head for a chance to be the regional champ. The second of these is the El Toro from Phil's B*B*Q. Get the facts on this contender and the recipe so you can make it at home.
Where to Find It:
3750 Sports Arena Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92110
Phil Pace followed his father's advice to only cook what he knows best. Phil created a top-secret recipe for BBQ rubs and sauce and wanted to share it with the people of San Diego. He opened Phil's B*B*Q in 1998 and later opened a second location in 2010.
BITE Score Rating:
Watch to find out.
* Kaiser Roll
* Deli-sliced Tri-Tip
* BBQ Sauce
* Marinate Tri-Tip with Phil’s double secret marinade (if you can figure it out!)
* Place Tri-Tip on mesquite grill and cook to medium-rare
* Allow Tri-Tip to cool, then slice thin on the bias, against the grain
* Place sliced Tri-Tip back on the mesquite grill and ladle a generous amount of Phil’s BBQ Sauce over the sliced meat
* Allow sauce to caramelize on the meat
* Remove the meat from the grill and pile it high on a fresh toasted Kaiser Roll. Top with more of Phil’s BBQ Sauce