Sandwich Report Card: Fish Taco Torta
In the Great Lakes region, 3 sandwiches go head-to-head for a chance to be the champ. The first of these is the fish taco torta from Tilia. Get the facts on this contender and the recipe so you can make it at home.
Fish Taco Torta
Where to Find It:
2726 W 43rd Street
Minneapolis, MN 55410
Steven Brown has received numerous accolades for his cooking talents and the opening of Tilia lets him showcase them in a restaurant of his own. Along with business and marketing partner Jorg Pierach and chef Sam Miller, the group hopes to create a homey, timeworn restaurant with a menu filled with variety and friendly flavors.
BITE Score Rating:
B- Really outstanding -- all the best parts of a potato roll and brioche rolled into one. It doesn’t get soggy and fall apart.
I- Unlike any fish sandwich I've ever had. The batter is somewhere in between tempura and beer batter.
T- There's lime in the mayo, theres lime in the slaw and that kind of sourness works so well with the fried fish and the creaminess of the homemade mayonnaise.
E- What you're getting is not only a kick-ass meal, but a taste of the Twin Cities.
Results: Defeated by the Yardbird.
* 2 quarts and 1 cup of Canola Oil
* 6 Egg Yolks
* 2 Habanero Peppers
* 1 Cup of Lime Juice + Zest & Juice of 2 Limes
* 3.5 Tablespoons of Kosher Salt
* 1 Tablespoon of Granulated Sugar
Directions for Lime Mayonnaise
* Temper the eggs over a bain marie until they darken and form ribbons.
* Remove from heat and begin whisking in the oil slowly.
* Add juice as you go to thin and incorporate the emulsion.
Ingredients for Crispy Fry Batter
* 3/4 cup of Flour
* 3/4 cup of Corn Starch
* 1 Tablespoon of Hungarian Paprika
* 1/2 Teaspoon of Kosher Salt
* 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
Directions for Lime Mayonnaise
* Reserve 1/3 of the batter for the dredge.
* Mix ingredients in work bowl and mix with a lager beer so you can see your finger through it, though it
* The thinner the batter the more delicate the crust.
Ingredients for Peppadew Slaw
* 1 Head Green Cabbage, shaved on Mandolin
* 1 Habanero Pepper seeded and minced fine
* 4 Peppadew Peppers minced fine
* 3 Jalapeno seeded and minced fine
* 1 Limes (Juice & Zest)
* 2 Tablespoons of Kosheer Salt
* 1 Tablespoon of Cracked Black Pepper
Directions for Peppadew Slaw
* Mix all ingredients in large bowl and let it sit overnight;
* Adjust seasoning to taste.
Ingredients for Pico de Gallo
* 10 Ripe Roma Tomatoes seeded and diced
* 3 Jalapenos seeded and diced
* 1/2 Bunch of chopped Cilantro
* 1 Red Onion
* 1 Juiced Lime
Directions for Pico de Gallo
* Mix all ingredients in large bowl.
Ingredients for Fish Taco Torta
* Corn Tortillas cut into wedges, fried in pork fat and seasoned with salt and ground cumin
* Soft Bun (i.e. Milk Bread)
* 4 2-3 oz. Portions of Dorado (Mahi) – pin bones and bloodline removed, cut on a bias
* Heat oil to 350 degrees.
* Season fish with salt and pepper.
* Dredge in dry batter and dip in batter then into fryer.
* Fry 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp.
* Lightly season.
* Toast the bun on the griddle and start layering on the bottom bun.
* Add first the corn tortillas, then the peppadew slaw, liberal amount of lime mayonnaise, fish, pico de gallo, cilantro and finally the top bun.
* Serve with wedges and an ice cold beer!