Sandwich Report Card: Shrimp Po-Boy
In the Gulf Coast region, 3 sandwiches go head-to-head for a chance to be the regional champ. The first of these is the Shrimp Po-Boy from Domilises Po-Boy & Bar. Get the facts on this contender and the recipe so you can make it at home.
Where to Find It:
Domilises Po-Boy & Bar
5240 Annunciation St
New Orleans, LA 70115
Domilise's is a family-run business. The building used to be a dry goods store and when the family bought it they lowered the floor. At first they just cooked food for friends, however, when the port opened they started selling sandwiches to the workers. That started it all.
BITE Score Rating:
B (Bread) - Outstanding, a true New Orleans product. Acts like an amazing sponge.
I (Interior) - Gulf Shrimp, the crowned jewel of the seafood that comes out of the Gulf of Mexico.
T (Taste) - The double-dip process on the shrimp provides an amazing coding that doesn't feel heavy.
E (Experience) - You can come here and be treated like family.
Result: Gulf Coast Regional Winner
* 3 large scoops of Flour
* Evaporated Milk
* Leidenheimer Bread
* Hot Sauce (optional)
* Mix water and evaporated milk with flour.
* Pour mixture over shrimp.
* Mix batter into shrimp with hands.
* Place coated shrimp into drop basket and fry until golden brown.
* Slice loaf of Leidenheimer bread.
* Dress the bread by spreading mayonnaise, lettuce and pickles.
* Add hot sauce to taste.
* Place golden fried shrimp.
Plate and serve!