Sandwich Report Card: The 4-Courser
In the Midwest, 3 sandwiches go head-to-head for a chance to be the regional champ. The first of these is the 4-Courser from The Fifty/50. Get the facts on this contender and the recipe so you can make it at home.
Where to Find It:
2047 W. Division Street
Chicago, IL 60622
Greg Mohr and Scott Weiner met when they both started working at Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak and Stone Crab in Chicago. They became friends and together created the concept for Fifty/50. The name is symbolic of their business partnership. Greg takes care of the front of the house while Scott is in the kitchen to make sure things operate smoothly.
BITE Score Rating:
B - Stupendous, love the pretzel bun.
I - Original, it take an adventurous chef to think of this.
T - Nice blend of soft and crunchy textures, rich and spicy, sweet and sour.
E- The average sports bar couldn't even come close to this place.
Results: Defeated by Al's Beef Sandwich
* Pretzel Bun toasted with Teriyaki Mayonnaise
* Smoked Pulled Pork
* Smoked Gouda Cheese Béchamel
* Fried Jalapenos
* Sweet Potatoes
* BBQ Sauce
* “Waffleized” Mac n’ Cheese
* Smoky Sweet BBQ Sauce
* Toast pretzel bun with teriyaki mayonnaise.
* Toss pulled pork in Gouda Béchamel sauce and sauté until it thickens.
* Slice and fry jalapenos, making jalapeno chips.
* Grind up mac n’ cheese and pour into Belgian waffle Iron to “waffleize” it.
* Slice and fry sweet potatoes, later smothering it in BBQ sauce, making sweet potato BBQ chips.
* Slice pretzel bun and add pulled pork, jalapeno chips, “waffleized” mac n’ cheese and sweet potato BBQ chips.
* Top it off with smoky sweet BBQ sauce.