Sandwich Report Card: The CSS Virginia
In the mid-Atlantic, 3 sandwiches go head-to-head for a chance to be the regional champ. The last of these is the CSS Virginia from The Black Sheep. Get the facts on this contender and the recipe so you can make it at home.
Where to Find It:
The Black Sheep
901 West Marshall Street
Richmond, VA 23220
The Black Sheep opened when owner Kevin Roberts decided it was time to be his own boss. Kevin had been cooking in New Orleans, when he decided it was time to go back to Richmond and finish his art degree. After finishing art school he ended up working as an executive chef at the Governor's Mansion. He served under 2 different administrations, while creating his ideal menu on the side. When his sister found the perfect place, Kevin decide to open a restaurant and bring his menu to life. It's called the Black Sheep as a way to honor the city's history with the Civil War.
BITE Score Rating:
B- Having a bread that is really chewy allows you to work the flavors around your mouth.
I – There are levels of flavor in each individual element
T – The chewing makes these flavors combine into a taste different taste where you can’t pick out any one element.
E- You are getting a taste of American history as much as you are tasting his (the chef’s) amazing culinary skill.
Results: Mid-Atlantic Regional Winner
* French Baguette
* Chicken Livers
* Shredded Cabbage
* Green Onions
* Granny Smith Apples
* Remoulade Sauce
Ingredients for Remoulade Sauce
* 2 cups of Green Onion, sliced thin
* 4 cups of chopped Celery
* 2 cups of chopped Italian Parsley
* 2 teaspoons of Chopped Garlic
* 1/2 cup or 4 lemons for Lemon Juice
* Zest of 4 Lemons ! 4 teaspoons of Salt
* 3/4 cups of Yellow Mustard
* 3/4 cups of Grainy Dijon Mustard
* 6 tablespoons of Horseradish
* 2 teaspoons of Hot Sauce
* 1 cup of Salad Oil
* 2 tablespoons of Paprika
Directions for Remoulade Sauce
* Process all of the ingredients together except the salad oil.
* With processor running, slowly add salad oil.
* Assemble sandwich on French baguette.