Sandwich Report Card: The Roast Pork Sandwich
In the Northeast region, 3 sandwiches go head-to-head for a chance to be the regional champ. The second of these is the Roast Pork Sandwich from DiNic's. Get the facts on this contender and the recipe so you can make it at home.
Roast Pork Sandwich
Where to Find It:
Reading Terminal Market
12th & Arch St
Current owner Thomas Nicolosi says the business started around 1918 or 1920, with his grandfather's butcher shop. It was a family business -- his father, uncle and cousins all worked there. There was a kitchen behind the shop and customers soon started asking for the roasts to be sliced. Before they knew it, sandwiches were being requested and around 1950, the family turned the garage behind the kitchen into a place to sell beef and pork sandwiches.
BITE Score Rating:
B (Bread) - The bread is amazing because it soaks up all the juicy and sauce but has a great crust.
I (Interior) - Just stellar; the broccoli rabe works against all the richness of the pork and cheese.
T (Taste) - Outstanding, borderline perfect if such a thing that can exist. Each ingredient is complimented by the next.
E (Experience) - You get an authentic taste of Philly but not the one you would expect.
Result: Northeast Regional Winner
* French Baguette
* Fresh Ham
* Pig Skin
* Bay leaf
* Broccoli rabe
* Red Pepper
* Olive Oil
* Parmesan Cheese
* Stuff fresh ham with fresh rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Tie it.
* Add dry rub of salt, pepper, thyme, granulated garlic, sage and marjoram
* Fill pig skin with rosemary and onion. Roll it.
* Put 3 seasoned hams in a pan along with the pig skin.
* Preheat oven to 375, add hams and cook for about 1 hour. Flip and add cup of water. Cook for another 30 minutes.
* Flip again and add seasoning mixture equivalent to dry rub plus bay leaf and flour along with a gallon of water. Lower temperature to 275 and cook for anther 2.5 to 3 hours.
* Remove hams at an internal temperature of 175 and drain stock. Allow hams to cool and refrigerate until the next day. Slice very thin on slicer and add sliced pork;
* Cook broccoli rabe tightly covered in oven with fresh garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper and olive oil.
* Add a touch of Parmesan cheese.
* Assemble sandwich on French baguette.