Travel Channel Star Rules
Official Rules and Eligibility Requirements
All entrants must comply with the following eligibility requirements ("Eligibility") for the “Travel Channel Star” program, the ("Program") in order to proceed with the application process:
1. Employees, officers, directors, and agents of Travel Channel (“TRAVEL CHANNEL”), Scripps Networks, LLC (“Scripps”), the producer of the Program (“Producer” or “Producers”), and their respective affiliates, related entities, subsidiaries, divisions, parent corporations, and joint venture partners (collectively, the "Released Parties"), all Program advertising, promotional, and judging agencies, and all other companies associated with the production, and administration of the Program and/or any of their respective licensees, assigns, parents, affiliated, and subsidiary companies, divisions, and joint ventures as well as (a) the immediate family (spouse, ex-spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, daughter or son, step-parents, step-children, step-siblings, regardless of where they live), and (b) members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees, officers, directors, and agents, are not eligible to participate in this application process. In addition, TRAVEL CHANNEL may remove from consideration any entrant closely acquainted with any person connected with the production, administration, or exhibition of the Program if, in TRAVEL CHANNEL’s sole discretion, the person's participation could create the appearance of impropriety.
2. All entrants must be at least eighteen (18) years of age (or the age of majority in their state of residence) at the time of application. All entrants must be United States citizens or resident aliens living in the United States with a legal right to live and work in the United States.
3. All entrants must have and present, as and when required, a valid driver’s license (i.e., not restricted, revoked or suspended for one (1) year prior to application for participation in the Program or thereafter for the duration of entrant’s participation in the application process and/or in the Program). Entrant is also required to have and maintain sufficient automobile insurance of the nature and having the limits required by applicable law, including, without limitation, general liability and collision and shall furnish copies of such insurance policies upon request.
4. Entrants may not presently be a candidate for any type of political office ("Candidate") and may not become a Candidate from the time the application is submitted until one (1) year after the first broadcast of the last episode of the Program in which they may appear.
5. Entrants will be ineligible if, (a) at any time, they have been the host of a travel-related video program (without regard to the platform on which such program is distributed); or (b) as of their date of entry or at any time thereafter they have any type of contract for talent representation (for example, a talent agent or manager), an acting contract, a television hosting contract, a merchandising agreement, or any other contractual arrangement that would prohibit entrant from entering into an exclusive talent contract, management contract, and/or merchandising contract with TRAVEL CHANNEL. Any entrant who has appeared on or is involved with any video program or other media must disclose such information in his or her application and may, at TRAVEL CHANNEL’s sole discretion, be deemed ineligible to participate in the Program. If any entrant is currently being considered as a contestant and/or participant in a television show or other media program (without regard to the platform of distribution), he/she must withdraw his/her application from such show upon TRAVEL CHANNEL’s request.
6. All entrants must be in good physical and mental health. TRAVEL CHANNEL may also in its discretion require entrants to undergo medical or psychological evaluation as part of the casting process. To be considered, applications must meet all physical and psychological requirements as determined by TRAVEL CHANNEL in its sole discretion.
7. There are two (2) ways to apply for inclusion in the Program:
Option 1: Attend an open-casting call AND complete an entry form, which will require an acceptance of and agreement with certain Travel Channel policies and procedures relating to your submission and provision of certain additional information required for you to be considered for participation in the Program; or
Option 2: Upload one (1) 3-minute home video AND complete an entry form at www.travelchannel.com, which will include acceptance of and agreement with certain Travel Channel policies and procedures relating to your submission and provision of certain additional information required for you to be considered for participation in the Program;
All entrants will be required to:
1. Accept and agree to Travel Channel.com’s standard release and consent for user-generated content (“Release and Waiver”)
Entrant will be responsible for all costs and expenses associated with their selected entry method set forth above. Entrant must only submit videos produced by entrant on his/her own (e.g. not professionally produced) and in which entrant owns all rights. Entrant may only enter once, using only one of the methods for entry provided above.
4. In order for your entry to be considered for the Program your entry must be received by April 15, 2015. TRAVEL CHANNEL reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to consider any entries received after April 15, 2015, but there is no assurance whatsoever that any entry received after such date will be considered for the Program. TRAVEL CHANNEL will not acknowledge receipt of any entries.
8. No entries will be returned (including any materials submitted in connection with entry, supplemental application or submitted as otherwise requested by TRAVEL CHANNEL and/or Producer (collectively “Materials”)) and the entry and all Materials will become the property of TRAVEL CHANNEL, which shall have the right to use the entry and Materials in any manner throughout the universe in perpetuity, as set forth in greater detail in the Release and Waiver. TRAVEL CHANNEL specifically reserves the right to use the entry and Materials to evaluate entrant for programs other than the Program (“Other Programs”), and to share all such materials with Scripps other programming networks and digital properties (e.g., Food Network, Cooking Channel, Travel Channel, DIY Network, Great American Country (GAC), ulive.com) for similar evaluation. Neither TRAVEL CHANNEL nor any of its affiliates, including Scripps’ other programming networks and digital properties, is under any obligation to consider any entrant as talent for Other Programs and any such agreement regarding services to be provided with respect to the same shall be subject to separate good faith negotiations between the applicable parties.
9. Each entrant must enter separately.
10. From among all the completed entries TRAVEL CHANNEL receives, staff and consultants of TRAVEL CHANNEL and the Producer will evaluate each entry on a number of subjective factors, all of which have the aim of determining which entrants have what it takes to be on TRAVEL CHANNEL. We will be looking at personality, interesting skills you may have relating to travel and/or adventure and overall performance among other related factors. TRAVEL CHANNEL may have certain entrants complete a supplemental application (“Supplemental Application”) and provide additional information and materials to TRAVEL CHANNEL for consideration all of which shall constitute Materials hereunder.
11. TRAVEL CHANNEL and/or Producer may disclose any information contained within or derived from your entry and related Materials to third persons connected with the Program and to compile information from third parties in connection with such entry and Materials and the application process about entrant's background, personal views, and opinions about life, travel, television, the media, and the like (collectively, "Personal Information"). TRAVEL CHANNEL and/or Producer may reveal such Personal Information to third parties in the course of the application process and/or the Program and each entrant hereby releases, discharges, and holds harmless the Released Parties from any and all claims and damages arising from such compilation or disclosure of Personal Information.
12. In order to be selected as a participant in the Program (each a “Participant”, and collectively, the “Participants”), entrant must be willing to travel to (i) one or more locations/cities determined or approved by TRAVEL CHANNEL and to host video segments that showcase entrant’s unique travel perspective. Such travel is anticipated to occur, if at all, , between May 20, 2015 and August 21, 2015 (all dates subject to change in TRAVEL CHANNEL’s sole discretion); (ii) selected locations on selected dates for a media tour in connection with promotion of the Program. If warranted by the time required to reach the travel destination, TRAVEL CHANNEL will furnish Participants selected for the final round (“Finalists” and each, a “Finalist”) with economy class air transportation and standard class hotel accommodations (room rate and tax only) as determined by TRAVEL CHANNEL or Producer, and a per diem while traveling for the Program. Except as expressly described in the preceding sentence, all entrants will be responsible for their own costs and expenses. Entrants who will not be available for all dates requested by TRAVEL CHANNEL will be disqualified. Participants must report and be available to participate at all times and places as TRAVEL CHANNEL or Producer shall designate.
13. All Participants and certain other entrants will be required to complete and timely return a separate Finalist Agreement, which may include, among other documents: a Background Check Questionnaire and Confidentiality Agreement (all forms will be furnished to those persons required to complete them). Upon request, all Participants and the winner must sign any additional releases or authorizations that TRAVEL CHANNEL, in its sole discretion, deems necessary.
14. At all times when the Participants are shooting videos on-location, the Participants will be subject to the instructions, directives, and schedules dictated by TRAVEL CHANNEL or Producer; non-compliance with such instructions, directives, and schedules may result in disqualification.
15. All entrants understand and acknowledge that participation in the Program, including, without limitation, the activities and events arranged by the Program coordinator and/or Producers may expose entrant and other participants to the risk of death, serious injury, illness, disease, and/or property damage. Finalists must be willing and able to participate in physical activities related to travel, adventure and excursions on location, on television sets, and the like.
16. Entrants that are selected as Participants will be required to enter into a release and agreement with TRAVEL CHANNEL that will (i) render entrant exclusive to TRAVEL CHANNEL for a pre-determined period of time (meaning that entrant would not, among other limitations, be able to appear in programs in any media, make public appearances, publish a travel-related book, or be associated in any manner with any commercial, advertisement, and/or endorsement without TRAVEL CHANNEL's express written permission in each circumstance); and (ii) give TRAVEL CHANNEL the option, at TRAVEL CHANNEL's sole election, to exercise the right to have entrant appear as a host, co-host, or contributor to TRAVEL CHANNEL programming or use entrant's name, image, and/or likeness in TRAVEL CHANNEL programming, merchandising, or other ancillary media.
17. Each entrant acknowledges, understands, and agrees that he or she may be audio and/or video-taped (the “Recordings”) by the Producer while participating in the application process or the Program at the Producer’s discretion with reasonable notification. Recordings may be disseminated on television and/or any other media now known or hereafter devised, in any and all manner throughout the Universe in perpetuity without payment of any additional consideration to entrant.
18. Each entrant agrees to release, discharge, and hold harmless the Released Parties from any and all claims including, without limitation, claims for slander, libel, defamation, violation of rights of privacy, publicity, personality, and/or civil rights, depiction in a false light, intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, copyright infringement, and/or any other tort and/or damages arising from or in any way relating to the submission of an entry form, Supplemental Application, Finalist Agreement, participation in the selection process, participation in the Program, the use of the Personal Information or Recordings, and/or the use of the entrant's name, voice, and/or likeness in connection with the Program, or the promotion thereof in all media now known or hereafter devised.
19. Each entrant acknowledges and agrees that he or she is not and will under no circumstances as a result of the submission of an entry form, Supplemental Application, participation in the selection process, participation in the Program, the use of the Personal Information or Recordings, and/or the use of the entrant's name, voice, and/or likeness in connection with the Program, the promotion thereof in all media now known or hereafter devised or for any other reason in connection with his or her application and/or participation in the Program, become an employee or an independent contractor of the Producer and/or Released Parties and will not make any claims against Producer and/or Released Parties, including, without limitation, claims for compensation or benefits, derived from any allegation of status as an employee. Each entrant acknowledges and agrees that his or her relationship to Producer and/or Released Parties is and shall be limited solely to that of a grantor of rights. None of the Released Parties shall furnish or provide insurance coverage of any nature to entrant in connection with the selection process or participation in the Program.
20. The Program and any contest or challenge that forms a part thereof may, in TRAVEL CHANNEL’s sole discretion, have a prize or prizes to be awarded according to these rules and/or additional procedures and rules that may be changed or established by TRAVEL CHANNEL in TRAVEL CHANNEL’s sole discretion at any time, including, without limitation, prior to or after the time that any prize may be awarded. TRAVEL CHANNEL may impose additional conditions upon entrant’s receipt of any prize at any time. Entrant will be responsible for all taxes on any prize received. If once required by TRAVEL CHANNEL to comply with any rule or procedure, entrant fails to comply, entrant will forfeit any and all prizes and awards, even if already awarded. Prizes cannot be assigned, transferred, exchanged, shared or sold; any agreement or promise to share any prize or any portion of a prize shall be unenforceable.
21. All decisions related to the selection of the Participants, Finalists, any Program winner, the judging of the various rounds or events in the Program (including all aspects of any voting processes), the application evaluation, and eligibility requirements shall be determined solely by TRAVEL CHANNEL and/or the Producer, are not appealable, and are subject to change at TRAVEL CHANNEL's sole discretion at any time, for any reason or for no reason at all. At any time TRAVEL CHANNEL reserves the right to disqualify an entrant, to modify these rules and requirements or any aspect of the Program as it deems necessary, and to cancel the production and development of the Program or any programming contemplated hereunder. TRAVEL CHANNEL is under no obligation to exploit the Program in any media. TRAVEL CHANNEL reserves the right to select prospective Participants and Finalists and to receive application materials at open casting calls, casting sessions, or through any other manner as determined by TRAVEL CHANNEL in its sole discretion.