Plan a Funshine Trip
Sponsor content courtesy of Tempe Tourism
Whether you’re visiting from far away or nearby, Tempe has lots to offer. From the squirmiest little travelers to tough-to-please teens, kids, parents and grandparents will find plenty to enjoy in Tempe.
- See beautiful fish and other creatures of the sea at SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium, located in Arizona Mills. SEA LIFE creates an environment where little ones can have face-to-face encounters with seahorses, rays, sharks, tropical fish and more.
- Tilt Studio, Arizona Mills mall’s newest attraction is a blast from the past where you can play some of the original video and pin ball games. Pac-Man, anyone?
- Have a roaring good time at the Phoenix Zoo, one of the nation’s top five zoos for kids with more than 1,000 animals and interactive exhibits. Isle of the Tiger includes two exhibit yards for the Zoo’s tigers, Jai and Suriya, and two viewing areas featuring Sumatran architecture. See what it was like to live among the dinosaurs at Dinosaurs in the Desert featuring twenty-three lifelike prehistoric creatures along the Desert Lives Trail from October 6, 2017-April 30, 2018. This self-guided dinosaur tour is included with zoo admission or membership.
- For some creative family togetherness check out the fun ASU Art Museum’s programs for kids and families, including Creative Saturdays and Family Days Supplies are provided and you can take home your art.
Whether you’re looking to indulge on presents for yourself or friends back home, you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for in this college town. Just be sure to save time to refuel at one of the many tasty restaurants in Tempe’s shopping districts. Browsing and dining just go together, don’t they?
- The local favorite shopping center Tempe Square in south Tempe houses Changing Hands Bookstore and Love Child Resale along with several other local restaurants and retailers.
- Take a chow break in Downtown Tempe, where you’ll find a hunger-satisfying array of everything from pizza to burgers to more sophisticated fare. You can also listen to some great live music from local artists at several different venues. Among the restaurants, you’ll also find shops that sell everything from ASU gear to the latest fashions.
- Shop at Arizona Mills and explore a full mile of outlets and specialty retailers. Arizona Mills is completely enclosed and air conditioned to keep you cool and comfortable. There are over 175 popular stores. Have lunch or dinner at one of the many restaurants, including Rainforest Café, Joe’s Crab Shack and food court with a selection of eateries. When you’ve had your fill of shopping, save time for a visit to SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium, Tilt Studio, IMAX theatre and the new LEGOLAND Discovery Center.
In Tempe, you can focus on exploring the great outdoors and staying fit at the same time. You’ll love discovering all the trails to hike, mountains to climb, bike paths to pedal and a lake to paddle, all against a backdrop of beautiful desert vistas. You don’t need to go far because all of Tempe’s outdoor recreation opportunities are easy to reach and many are right in downtown Tempe.
- If you love two wheeling it, Tempe is the place for you. As a designated Bicycle Friendly Community with 175 miles of bikeways, you‘ll be in bicycle heaven! Check out Tempe’s bike paths that range from city streets to desert paths.
- See the scenery from a horse’s perspective. Saddle up at Koli Equestrian Center or The Stables at Fort McDowell Adventures.
- Choose one of the seemingly endless trail possibilities at South Mountain Park and Preserve. With more than 16,000 acres, the largest municipal park in the country is popular with hikers, mountain bikers and horseback riders.
For more ideas, browse our "Things to Do in Tempe" list.