* 17 active crew members on board each boat* Match racing has three key segments:* The pre-start -- Five-minute countdown to the start gun.
* The first leg -- The section from the start gun to rounding the first mark (about 1/6 of the way into the course).
* The rest -- From rounding the first mark of the course to crossing the finish line, the remaining 5/6 of the distance.
* The basic strategy consists of blocking your opponent's chance of passing by placing your boat firmly between the opponent and the next mark. This requires your boat to be in front and in control.
* Match racing consists of drawing the leader around the course to try and force him into making a mistake, or putting yourself in a position where your superior speed can be used to get past.
Courtesy of Winston MacFarlane, Grinder Emirates Team New Zealand