A Beauty Routine for the Road
A woman’s morning routine can be complicated even at home, but add in overstuffed suitcases, small hotel rooms, excited children and all kinds of climates, and it suddenly becomes far more stressful while traveling. Luckily, Christine Pitkanen of Travel Channel’s Big Crazy Family Adventure knows a few wardrobe staples and beauty essentials that will make it a breeze to get ready for anything on the road.
1. Bring your familiar makeup, cleanser and lotions from home. They are comforting, and the road is no place to be experimenting with essentials.
2. The 1 thing I wouldn’t leave home without: L’Oreal mascara.
3. Also, Smashbox foundation gives great coverage and deflects light. It’s made for camera work, but I love it for all traveling because it stays on all day.
4. Don’t scrimp on sunscreen. Find 1 that works for your skin, and buy lots of it.
5. Pack a comfortable wardrobe in basic colors that you can mix and match. It depends on the climate, but generally, think lightweight linen and cotton. And comfortable shoes!
6. Always have a tiny bottle of perfume or scented lotion on hand — something to pick yourself up when you’re feeling grungy and to overcome the occasionally powerful local scents.
7. My 1 luxury on our 6-month journey was a straightening iron, which I used whenever we had power!
8. Leave expensive jewelry at home, but bring a few favorite pieces that can dress up any outfit for a night out.
9. Take time to relieve stress. Have a workout or visit a spa before you feel burned out.
10. Scarves and belts make great accessories, but don’t bring them from home. Foreign markets are full of them at a fraction of the cost, and they make great keepsakes.
11. A lightweight black top works great for dressed-up nights.
See our picks for where to go in September.